Grant Program FAQs
What does the Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation support?
Our Mission is to impact the lifesaving capabilities, and the lives of local heroes and their communities. This is accomplished by providing lifesaving equipment and prevention education tools first responders and public safety organizations. Requests such as event sponsorships, exercise equipment, and family support services are not supported by our Foundation.
Is this grant only available for Fire Departments?
No. Law enforcement, EMS, public safety organizations, non-profits and schools are encouraged to apply for lifesaving equipment.
What are the most common reasons a grant application is marked incomplete?
- Online quotes are not permissible
- Organization must be a registered non-profit
- Quote does not match the dollar amount or quantity requested in the grant application
- Quote is missing pertinent vendor and/or applicant contact information
- Quote includes item(s) that are not being requested in the grant
- Attachments are uploaded that don’t pertain to the grant
- Attachments are missing
- Attachments that are not saved as .doc, .pdf, .jpeg or .xlsx
- Financials are outdated or do not include both revenues and expenses
- Alternate contact information is missing
Can an individual apply for a fire school or police academy scholarship?
No, however, the Foundation may partner with accredited schools for scholarship programs for individuals pursuing or advancing their career in the public safety sector.
Is the Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation grant a matching grant?
There are no matching funds involved in our organization’s grants program.
If my request is more or less than $20,000 will it be denied?
$15,000-$25,000 is a guideline.
What financial information should we provide?
We look for a balance of funds and financial stability. Your financials must include both revenue and expenses and meet the requirements listed below. One of the following options must be submitted:
- A recent – within one month – Balance Sheet which consists of Assets and Liabilities
- A recent – within one month – Profit & Loss Statement also called an Income Statement
- A current year annual budget showing projected income and expenses
- A previous year audit or 990 – If your organization is funded by a local government, you may only have a budget for your department. Please submit the local government’s audited financials, along with your specific department’s budget if this is the case. These are often available on your city’s website.
What is needed for the required vendor quote attachment?
Online quotes will NOT be accepted. You must provide an official vendor quote with the following information to be grant eligible. Submitted quotes MUST meet the requirements below, please read carefully:
- Must be dated within six months of the application deadline
- Vendor sales representative first and last name & contact information (email and/or phone number) must be included
- Must contain the name & physical address of your organization, and a contact person
- Must contain only the item(s) pertaining to your grant request
- The total dollar amount and equipment quantities in the vendor quote MUST MATCH the total that your department is requesting
- Include sales tax if applicable
- Include an estimated freight charge if applicable
- The cost of maintenance plans and extended warranties are not permissible
- Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation will not be responsible for restocking fees or costs related to errors within the submitted quote
- Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation will not be responsible for additional shipping costs or tax not included in the submitted quote
Note: When requesting a quote from your vendor, we recommend sharing our quote requirements with the sales representative and making them aware the quote is for a Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation grant application.
What inventory information should I provide?
Please include a list of apparatus such as vehicles, special equipment and other major equipment. The inventory list will vary according to the size and type of department.
If my department is located more than 60 miles from a Firehouse Subs restaurant, should I still apply?
Our Foundation mainly focuses its resources in areas served by Firehouse Subs restaurants. We recognize the need of rural and volunteer departments throughout the country, and will consider applications outside of the 60 mile guideline.
When can we expect to find out if our grant has been approved or denied?
ALL applicants will be notified of a decision regarding their application within six weeks of the close of the grant deadline. Please do not contact restaurants or the Firehouse Subs Care Center with questions regarding your grant. For technical assistance or questions other than grant status, email firstname.lastname@example.org. We offer technical assistance until two weeks before the grant deadline.
Does Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation fund requests for “use of force”?
As per our guidelines, Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation does not accept grant requests for “use of force” items such as guns or tasers.
Are there items that your Foundation does not support?
All requests must fall within our Foundation’s funding guidelines which can be found on our website via firehousesubsfoundation.org/about-us/funding-areas. Examples of items that are not supported by our board of directors at this time include power load systems, exercise equipment, radar detectors and use of force equipment.
Does the Foundation accept requests for partial funding?
The Foundation does consider request for partial funding, however, the balance of funds must already be secured and outlined within your grant request. We recommend including a note about the project and the secured funding as part of your organization’s background/history attachment.